Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy Accident - Cleaning Without Cleaning...

I wrote a while back (well, tangentially, that is) about how you can't clean without cleaning. But actually, as I was making some strawberry jam yesterday, I remembered that I do have a way of cleaning, while cooking, without really cleaning. But by cleaning, I mean literally cleaning, not tidying. Sadly, you still have to put crap away in order to have your crap put away.

I don't remember when I discovered that cooking acidic foods polishes the insides of my stainless steel pots and pans, but I'm pretty sure it was a long time ago (long before these incorrigible and recently very aggressive grays started creeping up on my head) and had something to do with a doctored bottle of Prego (or was it Ragu...???). 

I've long since graduated from syrupy sweet pasta sauce from a jar, but the lesson has remained, and whenever I want to renew that pristine finish to the insides of my stainless, I cook some fruit jam or tomato based sauce, and the surface comes beautifully clean with no effort (but the cooking of course).
what to do with a basket of
so-so strawberries...
Just strawberries, sugar, a squeeze of
lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
So much better than Smuckers
and wayyyy less sugar, too!
so very clean and shiny
(I try to ignore the scratches I made
while stirring my jam with a
stainless steel spoon.
They make me hate myself a little.)
Tomorrow's the 4th, and I have no idea what we're eating, but I can assure you it won't be burgers. I am burgered out.

shinae

2 comments:

  1. Just dropping in to say good work, I've enjoyed reading your posts! Will be using your chicken dissection tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kate! How lovely to start off my morning by reading your comment!!! I'm so grateful you took the time to read my blog. :)))

    Happy dissecting. Hope you have as much fun with it as I do!

    ReplyDelete