Saturday, February 19, 2011

Happy Accident - Buttering Toast...

I like real butter on my toast.  Not that I haven't used margarine or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter before in a pinch - I can certainly appreciate the spreadability factor, and once in a blue moon, oddly enough, I even find myself liking that fake movie popcorn butter flavor the same way I like a McDonald's hamburger...

But most days, real butter is where it's at.  

Salted butter.  We don't like that stuff up in this house,
but shopping accidents happen.  :/

Now if I'm having a fresh baguette, I don't mind a little pat of cold, unsweetened butter, one per bite. But I like to butter my toast whole and used to find it somewhat vexing to shave the ends of butter to proper thickness for toast.  So one day, I unwittingly plopped a freshly toasted slice of sourdough onto a brand new stick of butter, walked away for about a minute to grab some sugar and half and half for my coffee and !Voila! - spreadable butter.

Oh so spreadable...

Just enough for one slice of toast, actually...

I think it's somewhere between 2/3 - 3/4 of a tablespoon's worth.

You can also cut a couple or three slabs off the end of a cold stick and then let the heat from the toast do its magic, but we're talking entertainment for the easily pleased.
Groovy, right?
Word to the wise: Too much longer than a minute and you get *melt*.
Lazy weekend morning breakfast.
I get my thrills cheap.

shinae

5 comments:

  1. lazy weekends...hmm bt 4 me this breakfast fits in weekdays morning...cant wake up with d birds..so have 2 sacrifice with cornflakes or toasts & milk..low in taste high in health n saves time.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with some cereal and milk, my friend! I personally love Grape Nuts and Honey Bunches of Oats. What kind do you eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)) Found your pics now :)) Looks great !! I just hadnt scrolled far enough down yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. What if this were the extent of my cooking... :P

    ReplyDelete