Thursday, September 29, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - Day 13 & Something About Knives...

Once upon a time, I went into posh peoples' homes and either catered their private dinner parties or taught them how to cook. And a lot of them had really beautifully outfitted, sprawling kitchens that were a joy to cook in. But no matter where I went, no matter how high end the equipment, no matter how extensive the gadgetry, I always packed these:


My Thai-made Kiwi brand kitchen knives. Lightweight, comfortable, durable, super sharp, and SUPER AFFORDABLE.

If you're a cooking enthusiast, you already know that there is no limit to what you can spend outfitting your kitchen. There are chef's knives out there that cost five hundred dollars a piece (and sometimes more) if you care to spend that much money on your knives. And if you're one of those people with enough money that 500 bucks is really just a drop in the bucket, then I guess it makes sense to buy one of those.  

But I will make no bones about it - my knife skills are solid. And considering how well these roughly FIVE DOLLAR knives have served me over the years, I would as soon treat some friends to sushi and sake with the remaining 490 or so dollars as buy one five hundred dollar chef's knife.

But to put it in more relatable terms - a lot of people buying their first set of nicer knives often look to brands like Chicago Cutlery or Henckels, where you can spend $30 to $100 on a chef's knife. I would rather pay five dollars to be able to use my Kiwi knife than have to use a $30 Chicago Cutlery or $60 Henckels knife for free. Which is not to say that either of those brands isn't good. It's just to say that as a person who has done a LOT of knifework, I much prefer these.

As you know by now, I'm not the kind to encourage anyone to spend money they don't have to. But if you've been working with dull, clunky knives, and you want to keep cooking, and you want to keep getting better at cooking, and you want to ENJOY cooking even more, there are few more worthwhile kitchen investments than a good knife. 

And considering that you can buy the biggest knife in that picture for $6.95 + S&H from places like The Wok Shop, or minus the S&H at your local Asian grocer, I'm going to say that if you don't already have a good and sharp knife, your VERY NEXT kitchen purchase should be one of these.

And if you do, please come back and let me know how much easier your life is because you did. ;)

Now for the meals...

BREAKFAST

Yogurt *buttermilk* pancakes again. Recipe here.


And today, Mrs. Coffee Potato Head, who reminds me a little of Nicole Richie when she wears her Jackie O. shades...


For the flour, egg, milk, yogurt, sugar, salt, baking powder and butter to make the pancakes plus the coffee...

BREAKFAST: $1.00 total

LUNCH

Lunch for the Man is leftovers from last night's sweet potato ravioli dinner and some grapes.



No kale left for me, but five ravioli and probably a handful of grapes as well. And for my PMS salt cravings, I'm probably going to have a few pieces of kimchi somewhere in there. Not with the ravioli, mind you, but at some point.

LUNCH: $1.00 total for grapes and some kimchi.

And I am just bracing myself for the *EWWWWWWWWWWS* to come when I tell you that I'm having Korean style stewed feet of pig for dinner:


But I love the stuff. And dinner will cost right around 5 bucks again, I think. But I'll be back later with the pics and the totals.

Oh, and, tomorrow will be another early shopping day because we're going up to OC again to help my parents move sometime this weekend. I'll probably do my Fresh and Easy milk and grains run, and then possibly hold off on the rest for Shun Fat this weekend.

And I think I want to cut bangs...

shinae

@Next morning (I got wrapped up doing very important things like cringing while watching all the tone deaf *singers* on X Factor):

Dinner was Korean style piggy trotters as planned, stewed with onions, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rice wine and water.


My favorite soy dipping sauce on the side with an extra splash of vinegar in it because pig and vinegar are a match made in Heaven...


Served with a side of steamed rice and sweet, sour, hot Korean style cukes dressed in salt, sugar, fresh garlic, distilled white vinegar and cayenne pepper.


   3 lbs. of pork feet for $4.50 (3 pounds of straight meat would be way too much for two people, but pork feet are half bones)
+ 1/2 an onion, 1/2 a head of garlic, an inch of ginger root @ $0.20
+ soy sauce, brown sugar, and free rice wine gotten as a gift @ $0.20
+ 2.5 Persian cukes @ $0.40
+ some salt, sugar, vinegar, and a clove of garlic @ $0.20 at most
+ 2 cups of jasmine rice @ $0.80
+ 2 freezer pops we ate after dinner @ $0.10

= DINNER: $6.40 total, $2.15/serving (We have one serving left.)

$8.40 spent for the day. (We'll round up to $9.00.)

Saturday:  $15.00
Sunday:  $23.00
Monday:  $8.00
Tuesday:  $10.00
Wednesday:  $11.00
Thursday:  $9.00

$76.00 spent and one day left to go. This will be another unusual Friday because the kids want to spend the last night they can in their grandparents' old home before we help move them into the new one this weekend. And another wedding this weekend. This time at a park.

When love rains, it pours...

5 comments:

  1. i LOVE my kiwi knives, thanks to you!

    Those pig feet look awful cute, and i'm sure they'll be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I think if there's ONE item you want to spend money on to cook, it's a knife. I spent the money and bought a small set of Henckels and I love them! However, I don't have any knives like you have pictured here so one of these days I will order one from your link! Thanks for sharing, they do look pretty sturdy and good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @mc, I'm so glad you love them! And I love pig meat too much. I am sooo looking forward to dinner. Is that wrong of me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tonia, I had to edit my post after reading your comment because I came off more critical of those other brands than I'd intended. It's not that Henckels aren't great, but having done a LOT of chopping, I much prefer the Kiwis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want those knives. We have some great Shun knives. Worth the money spent. But those look even better. Especially because the huge carving knife is a little too big for my small hands. Are those Kiwi knives available in the US? Will have to google when I land in the States....

    Also, next time I'm in San Diego area, I shall have to book a cooking lesson with you. I desperately want to learn to cook Asian cuisines better. All of them.

    ReplyDelete