Thursday, September 1, 2011

On Trolls, Chickens & Happy Endings...

I've talked before about Faustian bargains, and how I hope I don't succumb to one in a big way. But I've been dealing with some internet community related issues lately that have made me realize that, in some ways, in...

- starting this blog under my real name,

- disclosing some very personal thoughts and facts about my life,

- adding my picture and a link to my facebook in an (albeit successful) attempt to more closely relate with likeminded people (not to mention to test my blogging chops), and

- essentially keeping my web persona very much connected to my real identity,

I have made my own deal with likely a few devils.

The Devil in this latest transaction is the almost always anonymous and apparently deeply resentful, perhaps even emotionally stunted, stalker-troll. Not to be confused with the average troll who stokes flames based solely on the singular scenarios set before them in a given thread or article, the stalker-troll...

- latches on to their victim for some reason that likely has to do with painful and unresolved issues (like never being able to get laid by Asian chicks no matter how much money you spend on those money-grubbing whores),

- digs as deep as the web and the capacity of their creepy stalker minds will allow into the internet presence of their victim,

- fantasizes that they now know their victim so well as to be able to make pointed, scathing, and of course brilliantly snarky observations about their character, and then

- shits in the fora in which their victim participates with their passive aggressive verbal diarrhea - indirectly, but very specifically, and armed with certain and damning (public) knowledge gleaned from their crafty ten-fingered research, slaying their victims - if only in their minds - with ad hominem attacks.

I knew going into this that they existed, and that as an Asian woman, I was likely opening myself up to all kinds of creepy, fetishist shithead shenanigans. But I won't lie. For a few minutes today, I had a bad case of the heebie jeebies and wondered for a moment if I should continue doing what I'm doing.

I don't really have an issue with people making judgments about me based on my writing, my background, or even my looks. It's only human, and gawd knows I do it all the time (sometimes accurately, other times not so much). But some people, apparently overcome with their own internal loser-monologue and the apparent sexual deprivation that is a natural consequence of that monologue, take it a wee too far for a decent First Amendment loving person's comfort.

And possibly the worst thing about what they do is that they do it anonymously, and ultimately, cowardly.

But then I realize that kind of behavior is par for the course for someone who hasn't the balls or the decency to own the self-hatred that propels them to say really rude, uncouth, and downright creepy things intended solely to injure someone else's psyche, all the while hiding behind a screenname. And I'm nothing if not a realist.

So to all you stalker-trolls of past, present and future, I know I can't stop you from choking your mental chickens thinking about ways to victimize people like me who own our sicknesses publicly, but I do hope you'll get some relief for your torture. I hear they offer awesome foot massages for next to nothing in Little Saigon.

And the best part is you don't have to pay for dinner at Mastro's before you don't get a happeee enddingggg!!! ^^

shinae

9 comments:

  1. Shauna over at Gluten Free Girl just wrote a post about this, too. So obnoxious that women have to deal with this stuff . . .

    http://glutenfreegirl.com/warm-brown-rice-and-grilled-vegetable-salad/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you have to deal with something so sophomoric. It's sad that there are so many creeps out there and some are so enchanted with Asians and want an "ornamental" on their arm! Tony knew someone that really was into Asians, but never had dated one, so he decided to "decorate" his apartment with all things Oriental...very creepy, it's like he was casting a web...lol Hope you figure out a way to ban the Ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @OG, Thanks for sharing the link with me. I knew I wasn't alone, but it was comforting to read about this kind of experience from another perspective.

    And yeah. It's a little bananas that people have to put up with this kind of nonsense, but I've come to the realization that it's the balancing I have to pay for the privilege of cheap therapy. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kay, That whole fetishizing thing is WAY creepy, isn't it? And all the more creepy when you stop to think about the kind of frustration that fuels a desperate person to create an account for the sole purpose of stalking someone else.

    I thought of flagging the comment and the poster, but I figured where there's one, there are probably many more. I have to learn to accept the inevitability of this kind of pathetic bullshit and just click the *ignore* button in my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're way more forgiving than I am, Shinae. I use inappropriate flags as often as they are needed, I hate trolls and what they do. It's pretty pathetic that they get their jollies on someone else's pain.. all while remaining anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shinae, I'm sorry to hear about what you've been going thru and also the blog author of gluten free girl too.
    I just don't understand all these and why are they doing that! Obviously it doesn't benefits them any good from all the craps and all but only to ease their imbalances and jealousy.
    I'm glad that you choose the right way (clicking your 'ignore' button) and be who you really are, what you love doing and everything we love about you! ;)
    I know said is so much easier than done but just rmber that you're not alone, we'll always be there for you with all our supportive hearts! Cheers Shinae! We love you for who you really are! ;D

    Have a great weekends! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tonia, I still have a little bit of an internal debate going on about flagging and deleting. It's disturbing to read the words, and yet for the most part, I have faith that the truth will out itself sooner if I allow them to remain. We'll see how much longer I can go without flagging. :P

    Agreed it is WAYYYYYY pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lyn, Thanks for the moral support. It does feel a little icky when people do things like that, and from reading gluten free girl's blog, it appears she has to deal with it a million more times than I do!

    And it really does give me comfort that you, Tonia, Kay and OG commented on this post in support. I know better than to think I'm alone in it, and yet it makes me feel so much better to have your backup.

    Thanks again, sis. I hope you and your fam have a great weekend too.

    <3

    shinae

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're always welcome, Shinae! ;D
    Yeah, I do agree that Shauna, author of gluten free girl does has too much to deal and what hurts most are those personal attacks on her young lil gal! I'm totally speechless! Gosh! ;(

    I'm so glad that you're feeling better now.
    Hope you enjoy your weekend too! ;)

    PS: I'm so happy that you named me as your sis! Thank you so much, sis and you really make my day! ;D <3

    ReplyDelete