Wednesday, September 14, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - PROLOGUE...

If you follow this blog and/or my food albums, I hope it's evident that while I'm a big believer in frugality, I am also as big a proponent of eating well. And when I say well, I mean delicious, varied and balanced whole foods prepared with care, with healthy servings of fresh produce, and judicious but guiltless sides of indulgences.

Just...

Between that, some threads on discussion boards, and conversations with friends, I've been inspired to share my food budget with you because while I know there are folks who are pretty inspired and creative with even smaller budgets, I also know that there are a lot of folks struggling with how to maximize or even decrease much bigger food budgets while still feeding their families in a way they can feel good about.

...some of...

My goal for the remainder of this week is to use up the last of the perishables so that I can start fresh this Saturday (which is my usual grocery shopping day) with nothing but spices, seasonings and condiments, so I can show my true food expenses for a month straight and how I navigate that month on a budget of roughly $400 for two adults full time, plus two pre-teens part time.

...the stuff...

A quick acknowledgement before I get into details: Notwithstanding the fact that I am formulating a primarily web-based food-related business model from home, I am essentially a housebiatch (or, as the Man so wisely corrects me - a *domestic goddess*) for the time being. I have ALL DAY, EVERY DAY to cook EVERY. SINGLE. MEAL if I so choose. Some of you are in the same boat, but likely, most of you aren't. Even if you aren't, I hope I'll be able to offer something of value to you over the course of the next month or so, because while much of the savings is admittedly in the preparation, there are also savings to be found in what you buy, how you buy it, and how you choose or plan to use it.

...we eat...

I'm not much of a coupon clipper, but that has more to do with the fact that I buy primarily whole (unprocessed) foods for which there are few coupons available than it has to do with any aversion to clipping or presenting coupons.

...on 100 dollars...

Before Saturday rolls around, there are a few other general concepts I'd like to share with you, but washing a mess of dishes and a few other domestic goddess-esque activities await me.

...a week.

Back later,

shinae

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see more, I'm on a tight budget and am a "domestic goddess" myself. :) The food I make is stuff like... homemade meatloaf, spaghetti and meatballs, beef & vegetable soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken & dumplings, grilled steak (well, hubby grills it!). My meals are so cheap, they cost like $5 for full meal for all 5 of us. (Yes, we are THAT tight right now, sadly.)

    Your food looks so different and delicious, I will be trying them once I have the cash to spare to buy some of the ingredients that are required but I don't have in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty awesome that you can get dinner on the table for your whole family for $5 a meal - and with such great variety too.

    It's challenging when times are tight for sure, but sometimes I think that's what pushes us to adapt and become even better cooks. :)

    ReplyDelete