Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Back In Black - Day 37 (Tuesday) & Something About OPR...

I'm pretty sure that 11 PM enchilada didn't do me any favors last night. My hormones are re-regulating themselves post partum, and the past couple of weeks have had me a bottomless pit some days and not caring to eat at all on others. Oh, and the preggo hair has also begun falling out. I can't wait 'til I'm half bald with all this new growth sprouting from my head like so many chick feathers...

So far I've blogged 18 days (well 19 now) of the 30 (which were originally supposed to be 30 consecutive days, but I'm a slacker shit happens) that I committed to, and I highly doubt that the 30th post for this series will find me comfortably back into the LBD, but the zipper has moved up maybe just under an inch and things are just generally starting to look a little less squishy and dimply in that way that only a woman who needlessly scrutinizes all the fine details in the mirror from time to time might notice.

Day 16:


Day 37:


But let's move on and talk recipes now, shall we?

OPR.

As in O.ther P.eople's R.ecipes.


My usual step by step album here.

Because it is delicious. And because his recipes are well and thoughtfully written, sharing a love of both the food and the language we use to describe it, as well as subtly imparting technique without clobbering you over the head with it. Something I aspire to with my own recipes.

I made some yesterday so I could be sure to get my enchiladas in before the end of the month at Linda's Dish of the Month thread over on chowhound where people are cooking up all kinds of amazing enchiladas.

My tweaks: 

- chicken stock instead of beef because that's what I had on hand
- the addition of a roasted Roma for added sweetness and acid depth
- the addition of a roasted quarter of an onion, also for added sweetness and an additional savory note
- the use of fish sauce as salt element to lend some extra umami oomph

A beautiful color something between brick and wet terra cotta, the delicious aroma of chocolate-y, raisin-y guajillos blended with roasted onions, garlic, cumin, and oregano, and a deep, rich, complex, and layered flavor from such a short list of ingredients.

I was happy. El Gringo que ama la comida Mexicana was happy tambien.

BREAKFAST



LUNCH

was leftover jahp chae from Izzy's Baek Il (100th Day) celebration.


DINNER

was fridge cleanout Chile Beef & Roasted Red Pepper Enchiladas with a Romaine and radish salad topped with guac and dressed with fresh lime juice.




SNACK

I had 4 squares of milk chocolate accompanied by a small handful of almonds scattered throughout the day. Pretty much a deconstructed chocolate almond bar, only more almonds, less chocolate.

EXERCISE

Tchah.

Since Dean surprised me yesterday by taking the rest of the week off, I'm hoping we can hit up the new San Diego Public Market today. They say it looks promising.

Off to make brekkie! :)

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment