Tuesday, October 4, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - Day 17...

If I didn't consciously know that I have an important issue to resolve, I would have been able to deduce it from the fact that I'm up past 2 AM for the second night in a row and that this is maybe the tenth time I've started this post. The writer's block always knows.

Suffice it to say it's not because he's on vacation that the boychild is with us this week. But I also want to say that I am thrilled that he is with us regardless of the reason. I know that the chemistry in our home has been really good for him and that he's benefited in so many ways not only from spending time with the person who happens to be his mother, but also from the dynamics of the relationship between me and the Man and the very gentle, considerate and emotionally generous way in which the Man interacts with him.

Whatever way this issue and the ones lying underneath it are resolved, I'm grateful for the time we get to spend together. And I'm happy to field his questions as he's reading Bittman Takes On America's Chefs:

"What's a brioche? Can we order real wasabi? Mommy, is there really such a thing as white balsamic vinegar? Do we have fruit and wine and vodka? Because if we do, you and Dean can make sangria from this recipe."

And to listen to his glass half full perspective on the week:

"Yayyy!!! This week you can be my Cooking Is Fun teacher because I didn't get that elective and I have to take this dumb painting class instead."

And the best part:

"You know what I just realized, Mommy? I get to have your cooking all week this week."


I love that he loves it here. I love that he still calls me Mommy. And I love that he not only helped me to make the Tandoori chicken that was our dinner, but that he ate it and the aloo gobi that went with it - both challenging to his palate - with gusto, because he had a hand in it.

BREAKFAST

Simple enough. Cereal for the three of us, coffee for the two of us.

A two-eyed Paul Frank this time...


   3 bowls of cereal with milk @ $1.50
+ 2 cups of coffee @ $0.40

= BREAKFAST: $1.90 total

SNACK

None for me, but Joe had the last three slices of Havarti while he was doing his schoolwork and decided he really loves Havarti.

= SNACK: $0.75

LUNCH

Lunch for the Man was leftover kimchi fried rice and miso soup from last night's dinner.

As I was busy doing some Fall cleaning, a simple ramen with egg for the boychild, rice and braising liquid from the piggy digits dinner again.

I always put ice cubes in the kids' ramen
so they don't burn their tongues...


   1 packet of Sapporo Ichiban ramen @ $0.60
+ 1 egg @ $0.16, all else previously accounted for

= LUNCH: $0.76 total.

SNACK

F&E Oreos, coffee for me and a coconut vanilla latte type dealie for the boychild. And then the rest of the Oreos shared with the Man after he got home from work.


   12 cookies @ $0.75
+ coffee @ $0.40
+ latte mix @ $0.25

= SNACK: $1.40 total

DINNER

An oven broiled Tandoori chicken (recipe here) served with aloo gobi made of cauliflower and potatoes along with some cucumber jalapeno raita to bring it all together. We don't have it often, but it always hits the spot when we do.

Tandoori chicken

aloo gobi

cucumber jalapeno raita


   8 chicken drums @ $2.50
+ yogurt and seasonings for the Tandoori marinade @ $1.00
+ cauliflower and potatoes for the aloo gobi @ $1.25
+ 3 tomatoes @ $0.60
+ 1 onion @ $0.20
+ ginger, garlic and spices for aloo gobi @ $0.50
+ cucumber and jalapeno for the raita @ $0.20
+ yogurt for the raita @ $0.50
+ 2 cups rice @ $0.80

= DINNER: $7.60 total, $1.90/serving (4 servings)

Saturday:  $5.40
Sunday:  $16.00
Monday:  $12.40

$34.00 spent with four days left to go.

Joey and I are making either pernil or pad thai tonight. I think I'll let him choose after he's done doing his schoolwork and all the Cinderfella chores he's being made to do as part of his discipline for this week.

It's 4AM now, and it almost doesn't make sense to try to go to sleep at this point.

Off to brew coffee and clean,

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment