Thursday, October 13, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - Day 27 (Second To Last Day)...

Wouldn't you know the last week of this project I am bogged down with unseasonal heat and chick issues???

I really wanted to go out with a bang, but the heat and the exhaustion together have so far made for an uneventful kind of cooking week. Second to last day of this project, and we find ourselves eating ramen for the second time in a week.

A Honeycrisp apple peel rose - a byproduct of what little
cooking I actually did do today...

I've committed to building up my Google+ page a bit as I think the hangout function there could prove to be very useful when I eventually get up and running with the virtual cooking classes. Let me just say that I don't know how people manage so many social media sites at once because I have a feeling managing G+ and facebook on a daily basis is going to be the fulltime job I haven't been looking for.

In a preemptively splurge-y mood to congratulate myself for getting through this budget mostly on time, I have been researching places in San Diego to buy a slab of foie gras because that and oysters on the half shell with some mignonette and freshly grated horseradish have been on my mind for a long time. And I am pretty sure there isn't a place around here within a quick drive that I would care to pay someone else to prepare them for me. But then again, considering that it's highly unlikely that I will be able to buy just enough foie gras for two, maybe I'll try to find a place in San Diego proper that does a decent foie. The oysters I can source on my own...

But that little splurge aside, we will carry on with the same grocery budget - at least for the foreseeable future in which I am likely not winning any lotteries and still trying to find a way to monetize exactly what I want to do with food in a way that I can feel good about given all my little personal and philosophical quirks. For all the little budgetary sacrifices we're making and how relatively simple a life we are living compared to the ones we used to lead, I know how very privileged and blessed I am to have the luxury to think in such highminded terms about the career path I want to carve out for myself.

And I owe so very much of it to a man who has been so amazingly loving and supportive and emotionally generous from day one. If I told them what an incredibly good and decent egg you are, Dean Robinson, they might not believe me. Thank you. I love you.

BREAKFAST

Extra big bowls of Cheerios because there wouldn't have been quite enough left for another bowl...


   2 bowls of cereal with milk $1.00
+ 2 cups coffee $0.40

= BREAKFAST: $1.40 total, $0.70/serving

LUNCH

Leftovers from last night's arroz con pollo dinner for the Man. An apple and some cheese for me.


LUNCH: $0.75 for apple and cheese.

DINNER 

Yet more ramen and poached egg with some kimchi.



And then, inspired by a pic Kay posted of her dessert crepe at Lucques, I made crepes with spiced apples, bourbon soaked raisins, and vanilla ice cream.


   2 packets of ubercheapo ramen $0.40
+ 2 eggs $0.35
+ green onions & cilantro $0.10
+ 1 apple $0.30
+ 1 egg, some flour, sugar, butter, vanilla and milk for crepes $1.00
+ ice cream $0.60

= DINNER: $2.65 total, $1.35/person

Only $4.80 spent today. LOL. Leftovers and ramen. Reminds me of a much younger version of my life.

Saturday:  $18.15
Sunday:  $17.30
Monday:  $11.20
Tuesday:  $7.75
Wednesday:  $13.50
Thursday:  $4.80

$75.00 and just one day left in this project. I'm thinking empanadas tomorrow, but the heat might kill that idea...

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment