Friday, October 14, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - Day 28 (LAST DAY!)...

This is it - the last day of this monthlong project. I'm glad it's over, frankly. And not because our budget ends here - because it doesn't. If anything, we've taken a good look at what we spend to eat some pretty mediocre food in our hood and decided that we should eat out even less frequently than we already do and save up the dining out occasions for meals that really matter.

And given that a big part of my economic contribution to this household at the moment has to do with cooking, I take that responsibility seriously. When the numbers are staring you in the face - $40 for lunch and a beer at a so-so Korean restaurant out when our dinners don't even average $2.00 per serving in ingredients at home, $4.00 tops if we include the beer - it's hard as a fulltime albeit less than perfect domestic goddess to justify eating out just to not have to cook.

But the reason I'm glad it's over is because - and I don't know if you've noticed - I'm ADD. That I've stuck with the mundane task of recording everything I eat for 28 days straight and tallied the numbers even is nothing short of a miracle. And well deserving of foie this weekend. Or if not foie, oysters and very bubbly libations. I am determined to make one or both happen.

There's a quick post mortem to come after this one, but first I want to get the meals out of the way.

BREAKFAST

I used up the rest of the crepe batter from last night and the apples, and we had that for breakfast.




BREAKFAST: $0.40 total for coffee

SNACK

I didn't eat much of the crepes for breakfast and got dizzy hungry mid-morning, so half a PB sammie.


SNACK: $0.25 total.

LUNCH

Still feeling a little funk from the heat and the kinds of difficult interpersonal issues that sap your energy, I opted to make one of the easy comfort meals of my childhood: rice, bacon and kimchi. The Man came home and joined me. That and some honeydew.



   2 cups of rice $0.80
+ bacon $1.00
+ honeydew $0.60

= LUNCH: $2.40 total, $1.20/serving

DINNER

I was so, SOOOOOOOO tempted to beg out of cooking dinner, and the Man would have gladly obliged, but I could hardly have left this last meal uncooked. And the Man, who's been such a sport about this project, this blog, my occupation of the top of the chest freezer in which he keeps all the beer booty, and from which he has to clear my cutting board, my mixing bowls, the produce, the condiments, and my camera just about every time he wants to draw a mug or pull a bottle, was richly deserving of a deep-fried something, so picadillo (peekkahDEEyoh) empanadas with homemade pastry it was.

That plus a cilantro, jalapeno and lime curtido (kkoohrTEEdoh) and a mug of the Man's truly beautifully brewed IPA.






   1 pound of ground beef $2.50
+ onions, peppers, garlic, cumin, bay and some other seasonings $0.75
+ 1 egg, flour, sugar, a stick of butter, some salt, and vinegar for the dough $1.50
+ cabbage, lime, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and seasonings for the curtido $1.00
+ oil for frying $1.00

= DINNER: $6.75 total, $1.70 per serving (4 servings total)


A whopping $10.80 spent on the last day of this project.

Saturday:  $18.15
Sunday:  $17.30
Monday:  $11.20
Tuesday:  $7.75
Wednesday:  $13.50
Thursday:  $4.80
Friday:  $10.80

$86.00 spent this week. Some pork, cheese, yogurt, and produce odds and ends left in the fridge. I could probably go a couple more days without shopping if I want to clean out the fridge and start clean again, but the childrenfolk are already making food requests for the weekend so so much for the temporary shopping moratorium!

Back sometime in the next 24 hours with some data and retrospective observations on this project.

Thanks for tuning in and for all the comments and words of encouragement here and elsewhere. You made this project go by quickly.

:)

shinae

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on successfully completing your project! Although, I'm kind of sad since I have really enjoyed reading about this whole process. I haven't commented a lot but I have been checking almost daily to read about your progress, and also to drool over the delicious looking photos of your meals. I'm so impressed that you got through each week within (or most of the time below) your set budget. If I were to attempt this, I'm sure I would end up blowing the whole thing because I'm so easily tempted into splurging...and then regretting later on. Heh heh heh...Anyways, Cheers, and keep up the blogging!
    -MS-

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MS, Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm so grateful that you've come back to follow my progress. I've had a lot of fun with this project, and I think the best thing it has done for me is shown me that it's not all that hard to drag my ass to the keyboard and write every day. :)

    While I won't be keeping a play by play diary of our diet anymore, do you think it would be useful to keep giving a breakdown of the cost to produce a recipe when I do post one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i do, absolutely! that way you can show that even if you're not trying strictly adhering to a budget, you can still be conscious of how inexpensively you can feed your family well on an ongoing basis. i too will miss the daily posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mc, Thanks for the input. I think I will do that going forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that 30 days has gone by already. You did a great job keeping up with this journal, I'm really going to miss it! You really are an incredible cook and so much better than most restaurants. I hope that you really can source the foie gras and make it yourself instead of being disappointed eating it at a restaurant. So many places serve bad ones! Maybe you can get it at Marche Moderne for lunch, maybe they can arrange it if you call ahead:-)

    I'm so impressed by so many of the dishes you make by scratch like empanadas and crepes. With all that you make you deserve a break sometimes with the easy ramen;-). It really was a feat keeping up with a daily budget, you deserve applause for this!! I know how hard it is to keep up with a blog;-).

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kay - You are always soooo supportive and encouraging and seem to chime in at just the right moments to keep me going.

    Thanks, Sis. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete