Saturday, October 15, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - Post Mortem By The Numbers...

Here is a link to my mostly food albums where I post just about every single meal I cook every single day.

This is the 4-burner range (2 of which are wonky, the biggest one included) in the roughly 7.5' x 6.5' (I think I previously reported 7' X 6' but it's slightly bigger than that) kitchen in which all of the cooking happens.


In the past 4 weeks, I spent $390 on weekly grocery runs, and an additional $20 on what I would call band-aid meals - the $8 Panda Express lunch the Man bought that one day I didn't have dinner leftovers to send with him and $12 in coupon fried chicken meals.

The $390 breaks down as follows:

Produce - $101 or 26%
Meat - $96 or 25%
Pantry - $63 or 16%
Dairy - $59 or 15%
Indulgences (wine, desserts) - $31 or 8%
Grains (bread, cereal) - $18 or 5%
Misc. (cleaning supplies, toiletries) - $23 or 6%

Considering how much more expensive all other foods are by the pound, that means we eat a lot of fresh produce. That is something I consciously strive for, and I feel affirmed by the data. :)

Including the aforementioned band-aid meals, we have eaten 225 meals total between me, the Man, the kids (who are with us on the weekends), and very occasional guests.

- 73 breakfasts at an average of $0.76 per serving,
- 75 lunches at an average of $1.09 per serving, and
- 77 dinners at an average of $2.23 per serving.

An overall average of $1.33 per serving.

Included among those meals have been California Rolls, Lasagne, Vietnamese Summer Rolls, Braised Pork with Kale & Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Black Bean & Chorizo Chili, Korean Style Braised Chicken, Sauteed Bulgogi With Shiitakes & Onions, Korean Style Spicy Stir Fried Octopus, Havarti & Egg Croissants, Gumbo, Soy Ginger Beef & Potato Stew, Caprese Croissants, Mole Inspired Chicken Tacos, Fried Whole Fish Thai Style, Sweet Potato Ravioli, Bacon & Egg & Havarti Bagels, Fried Chicken, Kimchi & Bacon Fried Rice, Tandoori Chicken With Aloo Gobi, Pernil With Platanos Maduros Fritos, Korean Bossahm (Lettuce Wraps), Yakisoba, Broiled Salmon With Homemade Tartar Sauce & Collard Greens Braised With Bacon, Udon With Poached Egg, Red Velvet Cake, Club Sandwiches, Brownies a la Mode, Teriyaki Chicken With Tamagoyaki & Garden Salad, Angel Hair Pasta With Fresh Tomato Ragu With Sauteed Mushroom & Romaine Salad, Bacon & Cheddar & Caramelized Onion Omelettes, Arroz con Pollo, Crepes With Spiced Apple & Rum Soaked Raisins, Picadillo Empanadas With Lime & Cilantro & Jalapeno Curtido, and the occasional glass of wine, some sparkling, some not.

That's 35 different dishes inspired by at least 8 different cuisines, and I didn't even list them all (though I did list most).

Considering that, as of this writing, an Egg McMuffin costs $3.29, a Big Mac $4something, and an Angus Burger $6something (the Man just drove past a Cracky D's menu to gather data for me but alas it is breakfast time and lunch prices are not yet up), it's really hard to think of a good reason to pull up to that drive through most days (though I'm not saying we never do or never will).

In the past 4 weeks, we have gone out to eat 3 times. It happens that none of those 3 times was on our dime. But when we do dine out, we average between $20 and $25 per person, largely because a lot of what we like to eat when we dine out in the immediate area is sushi. Since I have the luxury of staying home and cooking almost every meal, it doesn't make much sense to dine out in a not quite ready for primetime restaurant environment.

It is now 9:25 AM, and I have big plans to buy 24 fresh oysters for $20 from a local aquafarm, dress them with a lovely little ponzu-inspired mignonette and some microplaned horseradish and wash them down with a $5 bottle of cava from Fresh & Easy.

It's off to the shower...

shinae

7 comments:

  1. you are simply UH-mazing.


    Maria C. Placido

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 35 different dishes inspired by at least 8 different cuisines in a week!? You're really something, Sis! If I've half of your amazing cooking skills, my family would be so proud of me! ;)
    Oh fresh oysters!!!! YUMS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Maria, You are so kind, sis. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lyn, Thanks, sis! But to be clear, that was in a month, not a week. :)

    Turns out I got to the farmers market too late for oyster today, but we did get some slipper lobster tails. I'm going to go much earlier next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if it's in a mth, you're still amazing enough to come up with so many different yummy dishes from 8 different cuisines(this is the most amazing part, Sis)! ;)
    Slipper lobster tails sounded great too! Enjoy your yummy lobster tails[you're always making me drooops] and have a great weekend! <3 *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are even more amazing that you make all your fab meals on an electric stove...I hate electric...lol. Luckily at home we have gas, but at the beach it's electric and I hate that thing;-)

    It really is impressive that you made so many different meals and differerent cuisines! After reading all this I really feel bad that you didn't get your oysters and I rubbed it in your face;-).

    Sis, you are the best!! I'm so glad that we went beyond CH with our friendship...big hug to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kay, The stove started out a little bit of a challenge, but I'm totally used to it now. My biggest concern now is that in recipe writing, my perceptions of heat levels will be off. Like when I say medium hot, is that everyone else's medium hot? Or is it off because my stove's wonky??? :P

    I'm so glad to know you too. You are always so amazingly supportive and encouraging. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete