Tuesday, October 11, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK - Day 25 Y Algo About !Viva España!...

I am green with friendly envy this morning.

My friend Maria went to a tablao the other night and posted pictures of what looked to be a great flamenco show, and then that fabulous biatch turned around the very next night and went to hear Ferran Adria speak. I could only have been made jealouser if he had cooked for her, but he didn't, so thank Goddess for small favors. Take that, Maria.

Mis zapatos are out of practice. I wonder if the landlord
would mind a little taconeo on these cheap
Pergo floors...

But jealousy aside, I want to thank her for reminding me of a place, a people, a language, and a culture I love and to which I am inexplicably drawn - except for their affiliation to Enrique Iglesias and bullfighting. No one's perfect.

I haven't gotten to travel in a while, but to go back there is next on my agenda. <nudge to the Man>

I think I might make a chicken paella (ppahEHyah - unless you're a Brit and you say it like it's written, which is silly) tonight. Too bad we drank the rest of that tempranillo-grenache last night.

Ohhh... I just remembered there's cava... That and a little Paco de Lucia on cue should make alegría .

That last link, btw, is for a clip from Carlos Saura's Flamenco, which is a visually and aurally stunning introduction to flamenco cante, toque, y baile (singing, guitar and dance). Que te disfrutes. :)

BREAKFAST

Some more of those ham and cheese croissammies with a little dab of strawberry jam to cut through the salt. If you've not tried it, it's not as odd as it sounds. Or, perhaps you will find it oddly delicious.




And in honor of the new gopher hole in our front yard...



   2 croissants $0.75
+ 3 slices of turkey ham $0.10
+ cheese $0.60
+ 2 cups of coffee $0.40

= BREAKFAST: $1.85 total, $0.95/person

LUNCH

Leftover pasta from last night and a Honeycrisp apple for both of us.




LUNCH: $0.60 for two apples.

For dinner, I'm thinking that chicken paella and steamed or roasted broccoli with a lemon aioli on top and a bottle of cava to wash it down. Because you can't not finish a bottle of cava. Because if Jesus had meant for us to piecemeal the drinking of sparkling wines, they would have come down from heaven with screwtops on them.

I'm guessing about $10 total because of the cava, but I'll be back much, MUCH later with dinner pics and the breakdown.

!Olé!

shinae


DINNER

@6:58 PM - Plan B. Completely wiped out this afternoon by the kind of exhaustion you can only experience by being female, I sat on the couch to write and fell asleep for too long.

Since we had another one of those $5 Church's Fried Chicken coupons for 3 drums, 2 thighs, 2 of their funky chewy biscuits, and a side of something that you're supposed to think is mashed potatoes and gravy, we ate that plus a homemade garden salad with Balsamic vinaigrette made weeks ago.






   Takeout chicken, biscuits and mashed potatoes $5.50
+ lettuce $0.30
+ 1.5 avocados $1.15
+ 1 Roma $0.20
+ 1/2 a cuke $0.30
+ some red cabbage $0.30
+ some after dinner ice cream from last night $1.00

= DINNER $8.75 total, $3.90/person


Saturday:  $18.15
Sunday:  $17.30
Monday:  $11.20
Tuesday:  $7.75

$56.00 spent with three days left to go. I will definitely make that paella for dinner tomorrow. I just hope I don't feel like I'm feeling today. UGH. :|

3 comments:

  1. I'M now a deeper shade of green at those shoes and your apparent ability to bailar el flamenco!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Envy me not, mc. These feet are wayyyyyy out of practice. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. still. how fun that you know how.
    vale, vale, señorita, feel better mañana!

    ReplyDelete