Sunday, November 20, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 1 (Shopping Day - Friday)...

For someone who is given to bouts of analysis paralysis, rote activity can be a godsend. In the past couple of weeks as I've been contemplating ideas, personal issues, and business plans, and not really making any conscious headway on any of them, it occurred to me that I needed to get back to some rote activity to occupy my conscious mind and to allow my subconscious to do some important work without the constant assault of purposeful thought, hence the return to this foodbudget diary.

If you're just joining me this time around, you can read about the first 28 days here. The first prologue-ish posts are primers on my general approach to shopping and cooking and explain a lot of my choices.

$72.29 @ Earthgrown (my local hippie foodmart) +
$57.94 @ Fresh & Easy =
$130.23 total
One of the spendier grocery runs in recent memory, but
we'd only spent about $45 the week before.

Friday's shopping trip was a relative doozy for us - just over $130 - but given that we spent less than $50 the week before, it smooths out over time. I went a little nuts on produce as I tend to do from time to time, but it doesn't always look as good as it did yesterday, and unless it's fridge cleanout week, I like my fridge full of fresh fruit and veg.

PRODUCE: For onions, apples, green onions, yams, broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, Roma tomatoes, limes, red and green bell peppers, poblanos, leeks, cilantro, lemons, red leaf lettuce, ginger, garlic, mint, avocados, artichokes, green beans, zucchini, jalapeƱos, habaneros, grape fruits, an English cuke, a bag of mung bean sprouts, some Napa cabbage, and a pineapple, I spent $52 or 37% of the total.

MEAT: For roughly 2.5 pounds of pork shoulder, a 5 pound chicken, and a package of surimi, I spent $14 or 10% of total. (I normally spend a little more on meat, but I have some backlog in the freezer.)

DAIRY: For 20 eggs, a block of Monterey Jack cheese, and a gallon of whole milk, I spent just under $10 or 7% of total.

PANTRY: For dried cranberries (I have no idea why dried cranberries were calling me), black beans, sriracha, coffee, jasmine rice, dried basil (the fresh looked really crappy this week), wasabi powder, crushed red chili flakes, and whole black peppercorns, I spent $31 or 22% of total.

GRAINS/BREADS/CEREAL: None this week. No such thing as easy breakfast 'til Friday, I guess!

INDULGENCES: For a 6-pack of Paulaner lager, a bottle of OJ, and 3 MexiCokes, I spent $18 or 13% of total.

MISC: For TP, girl products, and dish detergent - I bought myself a new scent, which always gets me a little too excited. This time, it's almond. Can't wait to open it - teehee! - I spent $14 or 10% of total.

$130.23 total. If the numbers don't add up, it's because I used a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon for Fresh & Easy. They're really starting to rope me in with all their Big Brother tactics. Next thing you know, they'll have my social...

Trying to write this retrospectively, I have to say that I actually didn't have any plans for any of the groceries this week upon bringing them home like I usually do. Lots going on in my brain, and it was all I could do to be in the moment as I was grocery shopping to recognize what was appealing. Oh, wait. I did know that I had to make kimchi, and that was about all the foresight I could handle for this trip.

Back in a bit with catchup posts. (Three days' worth. Help me, Jesus. 8| )

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment