Monday, November 28, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 10 (Sunday) & Something About Starving Children Elsewhere...

I'm sitting here watching Bourdain in Nicaragua as I write this post. While I've done some traveling in my life, I haven't yet gotten to the point where I'm compelled to travel to more, shall we say, challenging destinations. And by challenging destinations, I mean those places that I only visit through the magic of television because they make me uncomfortable in the realization of the harshness of life in some places other than where I've been.

In this particular episode, Bourdain visits the largest landfill in Central America (La Chureca), which is also inhabited by over 300 families, including the smallest of children, who dig through and eat straight from the daily garbage dumps just to be able to survive.

And if I felt a little quaint and silly yesterday and this morning for making myself and the Man eat every last leftover pumpkin cupcake from Thanksgiving for breakfast, I don't anymore.

BREAKFAST

for the kids was Nutella graham crackers and milk.


For the grownups, yet more pumpkin cupcakes and coffee.

And then for this general un-ease I've been feeling, I made myself some cinnamon ginger tea to sip throughout the day.


Graham crackers and cupcakes already accounted for,

   2 small glasses of milk $0.20
+ 2 cups of coffee $0.40
+ a stick of cinnamon and 7 slices of ginger $0.20

= $0.80 FOR BREAKFAST

LUNCH

And because this generally uneasy feeling made me feel not so much like cooking, we all ate ramen with some onions, cilantro, lime, and sriracha.

Poached eggs for the adults, but not for the kids, who haven't yet learned to appreciate a runny yolk.


   4 packets of Sapporo Ichiban ramen and some kimchi $2.00
+ 2 eggs $0.35

= $2.35 FOR LUNCH

DINNER


was arroz con pollo with black beans and a salad of red cabbage, tomato, onion and cilantro dressed with some lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper, oil, and a pinch of sugar to round out the lime juice.



It was a really lucky thing that the package o' chicken I defrosted yesterday had exactly four pieces o' chicken in it. :)

Spanish rice is one of Mads' favorite rice preparations, so she took a lot of the leftovers back to her other house.

   4 pieces of dark meat chicken about $1.00
+ 1 onion, 1/2 red bell, 1/2 green bell, 1 head of garlic $1.00
+ 1.5 cups black beans $0.35
+ 6 canned tomatoes $0.60
+ 1/2 head of cabbage, 1 tomato, a little bit of onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 lime, some cilantro $1.20
+ 2 cups of jasmine rice $1.00

= $5.15 FOR DINNER ($1.30/serving)


$8.30 spent yesterday.


Friday 11/25 - $5.15
Saturday 11/26 - $23.95
Sunday 11/27 - $8.30


$37.40 spent for this week with four days left to go.

Time to clean up this house a bit. Bed's not been made, dishes haven't been washed. We are a disaster.
BUT, I'm caught up. :)

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment