Wednesday, November 30, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 12 (Tuesday) Shopping Day...

So I think I told y'all that I caved last night and went shopping. After dinner, I would have had half a zucchini, one yellow onion, a few stray cloves of garlic, some ginger, and a few leftovers in the fridge along with just a little bacon and one chicken breast in the freezer, and I wasn't feeling like getting starving student-type creative this week.

$41.86 spent in 2 trips to Fresh & Easy this week
+ $3.53 spent at 7-11 for soda :(
- $6.00 Fresh & Easy coupon
= $39.39

That said, I do like getting down to somewhat bare bones before I replenish. It's just a lot easier for me to make sure I use what's on hand before it goes bad.

PRODUCE: For cilantro, onions, pineapple, green cabbage, green onions and garlic to tie me over until Friday, I spent $7 or 15% of total.

MEAT: For some shrimp, salmon, flap steak, (the salmon and flap steak were on clearance but looking quite healthy) and breakfast sausage, I spent $19 or 42% of total.

DAIRY: For 36 eggs, I spent $5 or 11% of total.

PANTRY: For a bottle of strawberry jam also on clearance, I spent $1 or 2% of total.

GRAINS: For 8 burrito sized flour tortillas and an unbaked whole wheat pizza dough, I paid $4 or 9% of total.

INDULGENCES: Unusual for us, but we're both feeling like soda this week, so for some &7Up, Mountain Dew, and 2 bottles of mineral water I paid $8 or 18% of total.

MISC: For a bag of ice (because we don't have an ice maker in our fridge, and I'm just really fucking tired of refilling ice trays), I paid $1.50 or 3% of total.

I originally planned just to get the green cabbage as roughage for our noodle salad dinner, but then I had a coupon for $6 off a $30 purchase at Fresh & Easy, so I figured I'd just buy some other stuff I'd be able to use into next week. Because Fresh & Easy is so close by and I can go any time with minimal inconvenience I'll sometimes shave down my purchase to as close to the minimum coupon purchase requirement as possible so I can maximize my savings until the next coupon comes in the mail or by email. That's about as extreme couponing as it gets for me these days.

So roughly $182 spent last week + $39 spent this week = $221 spent so far. Two shopping trips left to go in this month with $179 left to spend. I'm pretty sure I'll still come in right around target.

Back in a bit with Tuesday's meals.

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment