Thursday, December 1, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 12 (Tuesday) & Something About Groupies...

I was THISCLOSE to being caught up, and then my self-indulgence got the better of me. :)

After a few days of riding out exhaustion between the couch and dining table, I have decided to return to my desk, and I already feel ten times more productive.

So last night, I did some post-granny nap channel surfing and I came across a VH-1 special on groupies featuring Pamela Des Barres, one of the most famous groupies of all time. I watched about 20 minutes of her and other former groupies romanticizing a past in which they followed rock stars around, serviced them at their whim, got tossed aside at their whim, and still somehow managed to delude themselves that they were muses to these guys, unique and integral to their process of creation.

Harsh judgment to be throwing around so early in the morning, I know, but it's what's on my mind.

I think it's one thing to reminisce on the folly of youth, appreciate it for what it is, and perhaps even look back at that time in your life through a fond and forgiving lens. But I got the distinct impression that Des Barres would do it all over again if she could, and more importantly, if they would. But they wouldn't, would they?

Because let's not kid ourselves. Rock stars and groupies is the ultimate Revenge Of The Nerds fantasy, isn't it? It's a guy who's still pimple-faced, spindly legged or painfully chubby, generally unattractive and socially awkward in his mind despite his current rockstar, sex symbol status spreading his seed with as many archetypal hot young chicks who denied him in his youth as he can. That you would be willing to give up your life, your identity, your self worth, and your self respect for him is all the hotter. And that there are hundreds, maybe even thousands, more, lined up to take your place when he tires of you is that extra oomph he needs to get it up, 10, 20 times a night, according to your groupie diary, even though he's coked, stoned, and or Jim Beam'd out of his gourd.

I don't know whether to be sad or happy for what I think is Pamela's delusion. And I'm sure she doesn't give a fuck what I think, but what the hell. With all the talk of not judging people, and how it's only God's job to judge and whateverthefuck, truth is sometimes we (or at least I) judge the thoughts, actions, and perceptions of others, if only to keep our (my) own in check.

And what does this have to do with what I ate on Tuesday?

Absofuckinglutely nothing.

BREAKFAST

In one of the happier accidents in recent memory, I decided to make some VERY simple cheese croquettes with the leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving, some flour, and some shredded Monterey Jack.

Dusted with a little powdered sugar, and served with a baby dollop of strawberry jam, they were simple, delicious, and simply delicious.


I made two for each of us, the bigger two for the Man, and I still had a little batter left for another day.

   3/4 cup grated cheese and some flour $0.75
+ 2 cups coffee $0.40

= $1.15 FOR BREAKFAST

LUNCH

was yet another fridge cleanout meal using some veg scraps, some of the shrimp we bought this week, and the last egg to make one of my favorite meals from childhood: omerice (aka omuraisu) (OHmeuhRYseuh).


With kimchi, of course... ^^

   1/2 an onion, 1/2 a carrot, 1/2 a zucchini, 2 cloves of garlic $0.60
+ 8 shrimp $2.00 (rice was leftover from another meal)
+ 1 egg and some milk $0.20

= $2.80 FOR LUNCH ($1.40/serving)


SNACK

Feeling a little snack-ish before dinner, I used the rest of the pumpkin from the large can I bought for the Thanksgiving cupcakes, the last of the chicken stock, a little brown sugar (because Libby's canned pumpkin needs it), and some milk to make myself some pumpkin soup.


   1/2 a can of Libby's pumpkin $1.25
+ some brown sugar and milk $0.25 (chicken stock is always free in my house)

= $1.50 FOR SNACK (with a few servings left over)

DINNER

was a Vietnamese noodle salad (a lot like bun) using the last of the shrimp, some more veg scraps, and some nuoc cham I'd made a couple of weeks ago as a dipping sauce for Vietnamese steamed chicken.


With sriracha...
Given my generally sweet, sour, salty, spicy cravings of late, dinner totally hit the spot.

All mixed up!

 1/2 an onion, a wilted end of cucumber, 1/2 a carrot, the last of last week's cilantro, and 1/3 head of cabbage $0.90
+ 12 shrimp $3.00
+ 2 servings of angel hair pasta $0.30

= $4.20 FOR DINNER ($2.10/serving)

DESSERT

Having recently and accidentally discovered the wonder that is Nutella S'Mores, we wanted some.


S'Mores ingredients already accounted for on Thanksgiving...

= $0.20 (if that) FOR DESSERT FOR 2 SCHMEARS OF NUTELLA


$9.85 spent on Tuesday.

Friday 11/25 - $5.15
Saturday 11/26 - $23.95
Sunday 11/27 - $8.30
Monday 11/28 - $4.80
Tuesday 11/29 - $9.85

$52.05 spent with two days left to go in the week.

I'm already hungry again, and it's only 9:45. :/

Wednesday's meals on the way...

shinae

2 comments:

  1. Omurice! OMG my Mom used to make that for us when we were little, I totally forgot about them until your posting. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jeno, Such a comfort food, isn't it? I could go for a plate right now...

    ReplyDelete