Wednesday, December 7, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 17 (Sunday) & Something About Business Models In The Ever Shifting Paradigm That Is The Interwebs...

If I've been meandering and moseying my way toward a new career path, there is nothing like the idea of another mouth to feed to make you look a little harder for a somewhat sort of beeline to a paycheck. I know. Don't say it. A beeline to a paycheck, Shinae, is a JAY. OH. BEE. But I'm not talking about that kind of paycheck, and not that I'm above it if necessary.

But the question for me now is: How do I monetize what I do with food, by way of the web, when we're working within a paradigm in which so much good information is being given away?

And being personally put off as I am by all the personal branding going on, how do I create a viable internet business model that isn't driven by this sort of cult of personality that we all seem to be getting sucked into?

I've considered going back out there and doing in person cooking classes and catering and personal cheffing, but from a career development standpoint, I've covered that territory. And while it was fun and rewarding in many ways, there are so many aspects to that business that don't suit the direction I'm taking with my life at this point.

I have a hopeful and optimistic kind of feeling that the solution will present itself soon if I just keep my head down with the cooking and writing.

Roger always said, "Do what you love, and the money will follow..."

Yoohoo, Money. I'm over here. :D

And on Sunday...

BREAKFAST

for Mads were two goi cuon made with the leftovers from Saturday night, all the ingredients already accounted for but two sheets of rice paper.

For the rest of us, steel cut oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, blueberries, and a pat of butter.



Oh, and I also had a pomegranate.


2 sheets of rice paper $0.10
+ a cup of oats $0.75
+ 2 cups of milk for the oats (I also used 2 cups water) $0.20
+ some brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and a basket of blueberries $1.75
+ 1 pomegranate $0.25

= $3.05 FOR BREAKFAST FOR 4

LUNCH

was Joey's request for California Rolls and Miso Soup along with some homemade gari (GAHreeh) (pickled ginger).



And miso soup of course...


Some guy on my G+ page posted a comment on my Cali Roll pics to the effect of "California Roll is to sushi what White Zinfandel is to wine." I wasn't sure what that meant so I put it through the google foodiespeak translator, and the translation? I have a little dick.

2 cups of jasmine rice $1.00
+ 1 pound of surimi $2.00
+ 1 avocado $0.25 (GAWD I love the MexiMart)
+ 1 cucumber $0.25
+ some mayo and seasoned rice vinegar $0.25
+ 8 sheets of nori $1.50
+ miso soup fixings $0.50

= $5.75 FOR LUNCH FOR 4

DINNER

I decided to make life easy on myself and make some pizza using the whole wheat pizza dough from Fresh & Easy. Dirty Hawaiian for me and the Man (ham, pineapple, onion, and pickled peppers), sausage and onion for Mads, and plain cheese for Joe.


Pineapple and watermelon on the side.


whole wheat pizza dough $0.50
+ half a pound of cheese $2.50
+ some pizza sauce $0.50
+ 1 sausage patty $0.35
+ some pineapple $0.25 (the whole thing was on sale for $0.99)
+ some honey ham $0.50
+ a couple of pickled peppers $0.20
+ some fruit $1.00

= $5.80 FOR DINNER FOR 4

$14.60 spent on Sunday.

Friday 12/02 - $6.75
Saturday 12/03 - $15.80
Sunday 12/04 - $14.60

$37.15 spent in the first three days with four days left to go in the week.

I'm actually feeling pretty good today, and I'm optimistic about my chances of banging out one more post. :)

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment