Tuesday, December 13, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 21 (Thursday) & Something About How It's Not Your Kids' Fault...

If I have been really good about keeping my preggo cravings in check (I've only indulged in a McRib and a couple of small bags of XXTra Flamin' Hot Cheetos so far), I've been really fucking lazy about this blog. This pukeyness has become a great excuse for being really unproductive.  :)

But while I'm on the subject of preggo cravings... I've never been a big believer in this idea of *baby weight*. The truth is, there's you, there's roughly 7 pounds of baby on average, and another roughly 20 or so pounds in baby related tissue and fluid growth or retention, and maybe a few more pounds for good measure and healthy indulgence. The rest of it is ALL YOU. If, at the end of a hopefully successful pregnancy, I end up being a little chubby, that will be ALL ME and my own decisions to indulge in a few too many unhealthy cravings.

I know I might raise the ire of some otherwise healthy women who suffer baby weight retention, but barring some hormonal or glandular issue that negatively affects your metabolism, it is what it is. Eat too much of the wrong things, you gain weight. I'd no more listen to a woman who blames having biological children for her weight problems as I'd listen to one who blames her kids for having an unfulfilled life.

Do I want to eat burgers and Flamin' Hot Cheetos and pizza and chicken wings a lot more than I usually do? Sadly, YES.

Does anything in my rational or educated mind tell me any of those foods are essential or helpful to growing another little person? Luckily, NO.

I think it's perfectly ok to be self-indulgent (like procrastinating on your blog for six days in a row because you feel a tiny bit pukey). Just don't say the baby made you do it. Straight from the womb is just way too early to be bearing someone else's crosses.

And on Thursday...

BREAKFAST 

was more of that yogurt with pomegranate and honey, and a banana with some PB. And coffee.



yogurt and honey and pomegranate for two $1.50
+ a banana and some PB $0.30
+ 2 cups of coffee $0.40

= $2.20 FOR BREAKFAST FOR 2

LUNCH

I don't remember what I was doing at the time - probably procrastinating - but I remember that lunch snuck up on me, and I had to put something together quick. So I made some steamed rice topped with a fried egg, some toasted nori, a little kimchi, soy sauce, and some toasted sesame oil and seeds.

Kinda like a combo of two of my favorite childhood meals.



3 eggs $0.50
+ 1 cup of jasmine rice $0.40 (the cost went down because I bought the big bulk bag this time)
+ some nori, soy sauce, kimchi, and toasted sesame seeds and oil $0.40

= $1.30 FOR LUNCH FOR 2

SNACK

was a couple of coldcuts with a little mayo, and two sheets of nori with a couple of spoonfuls of rice.

coldcuts with mayo $0.40
+ nori with rice $0.20

= $0.60 FOR SNACK

DINNER

was sauteed chicken livers with sauteed Balsamic onions, which is my favorite way to eat chicken livers. And given my current condition, all that iron really did make me feel better.


The McRib was an afterthought. And may I just say that while the notion of *quality* from McDonald's food is understandably laughable to some, I have really seen a decline in QC from fast food places in general. From the texture of the dried out buns (which always used to be soft) to the way overdoneness of the kangaroo meat, to the sloppy and inconsistent application of condiments, it appears all the cookie cutters are broken, and these multi-national corporations can't even get blandness and uniformity right anymore. So much for all that private sector efficiency! *SIGH*


a small tub of chicken livers $1.25
+ half an onion, some salt and pepper, some Balsamic vinegar, and a few splashes of Tabasco $0.50
+ 2 McRibs $6.00

= $7.75 FOR DINNER FOR 2


$11.85 spent on Thursday.

Friday 12/02 - $6.75
Saturday 12/03 - $15.80
Sunday 12/04 - $14.60
Monday 12/05 - $12.60
Tuesday 12/06 - $6.35
Wednesday 12/07 - $9.00
Thursday 12/08 - $11.85

$76.95 spent on the third week of this budget.

So far for actual food consumed, not groceries purchased, I've spent:

$130.35 for Week 1 + $72.55 for Week 2 + $76.95 for Week 3 = $279.85 so far with one week left to account for.

Six posts in one day is a pipe dream, but I'll do my best.

Back in a bit.

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment