Thursday, December 1, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 13 (Wednesday) & Something About Kiddie Salons...

So earlier today on my facebook and G+ pages, I linked to this article in Huffington Post about beauty salons catering to the 'tween set, and I was unequivocal in my disapproval of them. As expected, there was overwhelming agreement, but there were also a couple reasonable voices of dissent from parents who enjoy treating their 'tween daughters to salon-type treatments.

To be clear, it's not necessarily that I disapprove of girls under the age of thirteen styling their hair or painting their nails from time to time - I paint Mads' toenails for her once in a while as a fun bonding activity, and I sometimes do her hair on special occasions. But my objections to beauty salons for young girls is mainly twofold:

- I want my daughter and all young girls to enjoy their childhood without being hindered by that level of self consciousness over their appearance, and

- I want my daughter to grow up with respect - for money, for privilege, and for her elders.

As a woman of almost 40, I know my daughter has a lifetime ahead of her of being concerned with her appearance, and sometimes with good reason. But at 10 or 11 years of age, I can think of so many other fun things little girls can do together that aren't concerned with appearance or consumerism.

And as a first generation Asian American woman who was raised to have what might seem to others a somewhat quaint sense of general respect for elders, I think there should be something inherently uncomfortable to a child about having such indulgent or frivolous needs attended to by their elders, especially in a consumer capacity.

I realize that, particularly in this currently failing economy in which we participate, it is an inevitability that my children and I will often find ourselves in the position to be served in some capacity by our elders. But painting her nails, blow drying her hair, and shaving her legs, essentially taking care of her own appearance and hygiene, are things I think my daughter should first learn to take responsibility for, for herself. And I think in due time, she should learn that it is an adult privilege and indulgence to occasionally be able to pay to have these matters attended to for us because we earned them with hard work and reasonable forbearance.

So while I can understand and respect that there are good, decent and reasonable parents out there with a different perspective on this issue, and while I won't make a stink if Mads gets invited to a party at one of these salons, I just won't be one of those moms footing the bill.

And the meals on Wednesday...

BREAKFAST

was a couple of sausage patties, one for each of us, and three sunny side up eggs, two for the Man, one for me. And coffee.


   2 sausage patties $0.70
+ 3 eggs $0.50
+ 2 cups coffee $0.40

= $1.60 FOR BREAKFAST ($0.80/serving)

LUNCH

was a rice, bean, cheese, and chorizo burrito using up the very last of the rice and beans from Sunday. We also ate the leftover red cabbage salad from Sunday night, which was really more like a curtido by Wednesday.


With a little red cabbage curtido for zip and crunch...

   2 tomatoes, 1/2 an onion, 2 jalapenos, 1 lime, and some cilantro for pico de gallo $0.80
+ 2 burrito sized tortillas $0.90
+ lots of grated Monterey Jack cheese $1.00

= $2.70 FOR LUNCH ($1.35/serving)

DINNER

was going to be salmon, but I forgot to defrost it on time, and besides I really wanted more melted cheese, so it was quesadillas with the leftover pico de gallo from lunch.


   3 tortillas $1.35
+ the rest of the Monterey Jack cheese $2.00

= $3.35 FOR DINNER

DESSERT

was Sour Ribbons (gawd I love those things right now) and a Whatchamacallit. :P

= $3.60 FOR DESSERT


$11.25 spent on Wednesday.

Friday 11/25 - $5.15
Saturday 11/26 - $23.95
Sunday 11/27 - $8.30
Monday 11/28 - $4.80
Tuesday 11/29 - $9.85
Wednesday 11/30 - $11.25

$63.30 spent this week with one more day to account for, which, gods willing, will happen tonight, and then I'm be momentarily up to speed again. :)

shinae

2 comments:

  1. @DVBB - LOL. Thanks! Lots of ranting I've been doing lately... :)

    ReplyDelete