Tuesday, December 6, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 14 (Thursday) & Something About Buns & Ovens...

You might have been with me a few days ago when I conjectured that I might be going through...

THE CHANGE.

Well, lemme just tell you that I'm going through a change, alright. But not that one. In that one, gods willing, you suffer years of hormonal dysfunction and hot flashes and hopefully you emerge happy and period free, no casualties in your wake.

In this one, gods willing, you're period free for a few months, pack on a few pounds, experience a few weeks or months of hopefully not too severe pukeyness and fatigue, and emerge with a perfectly baked bun from the oven that is your womb.

Am I excited and happy? Yes.

Am I possibly a little scared that I'm too old for this nonsense? Yes.

Isn't it a little too early to be sharing the news with everyone? I guess if you're superstitious about that sort of thing.

But I look at it this way: Life happens, pregnancy happens, miscarriages happen, and if you're to be so blessed, a perfectly healthy child with 10 fingers and 10 toes can also happen.

Admittedly, it's entirely selfish why I'm sharing the news here as early as I am. Between the physical, emotional, and logistical changes, this kind of thing tends to take over your life in big and little ways. And it's more than challenging to write about the minutiae of your life while trying to overlook the baby elephant in the room. Not to mention how to explain why you're probably going to go over your food budget now that you want to eat a fucking house half the time...

Wanna know what's funny? My prophetic little Asian parents knew I was preggo before I did. Well, sort of. My mom's been dreaming about babies for weeks, and my dad's been dreaming about catching really big fish, both of them wondering out loud to one another if they're going to be grandparents again...

Gods and ancestors willing, YES.

I guess this means no more beer for a while.

Send good juju, please. :)

And on last Thursday before I was so rudely interrupted by lingering all day pukeyness...

BREAKFAST

was the last of the cheese croquettes (already accounted for) and 3 fried eggs. And coffee.


   3 eggs $0.50
+ 2 cups of coffee $0.40

= $0.90 FOR BREAKFAST

LUNCH

was a Hoisin Blackened Salmon with an improvised soy and pickled ginger green cabbage slaw that was super tasty, and a perfect foil for the fattiness of the salmon.


   1/2 the salmon fillet I bought (which was on clearance, hence the super low price) plus some Hoisin $2.50
+ a third of a head of green cabbage, the last of the old container of gari (pickled sushi ginger), the last of the pickled onions from Thanksgiving, some green onion, soy sauce, and a splash of oil $1.00
+ 2 cups of jasmine rice $1.00

= $4.50 FOR LUNCH ($2.25/serving)

SNACK

was a couple of sheets of gihm (Korean style toasted nori) with maybe 3 Tablespoons of rice.


= $0.10 FOR SNACK

DINNER

Because I loved it so much, and because I wanted to use up the clearance salmon quickly, we ate more of the same stuff from lunch, plus some deviled eggs.

Someone took a look at this pic and told me
I should look into the white balance feature
on my camera, and to that, I say
BALANCE SCHMALANCE.

   the rest of the salmon fillet and some Hoisin $2.50 (there was still slaw and rice left over)
+ 5 eggs, some celery, a little onion, 1 sweet pickle, a little mayo, and some sriracha for the deviled eggs $1.25

= $3.75 FOR DINNER (about $1.90/serving)

$9.25 spent on Thursday, and $72.55 spent for the week.

$130.35 for Week 1 + $72.55 for Week 2 = $202.90 spent with 2 weeks left to go.

And on to Friday, gods willing. 8|

shinae

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats.... thus all the cravings lately huh... makes sense now. Best wishes for Mom, dad, bun and the big sister and brother to be :) Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww!!! Congratulations Sis! I'm so happy for you! ;D
    So this is the 'bun and oven' that you and Donz were talking about! I was like "uh??? WTH do bun and oven got to do with fruits!?!?" LOL ;P
    So the bun is also the reason for frequent 3am snacks lately? I was like this when I was preggy with my first! I woke up around the same time almost everyday looking for food! ;P
    Take good care and rest well, Sis! ;D

    ReplyDelete