Monday, November 21, 2011

100 DOLLARS A WEEK PT.2 - Day 2 (Saturday)...

Saturday was one of those running around kind of days. Mads had her TKD belt ceremony, so we had to drive up to Stepford and spend a few hours there. I did manage, however, to make some pho broth in the morning and have the foresight to defrost some ribeye so we would have it ready for dinner when we got home.

BREAKFAST

Still just the three of us for breakfast. Joe opted to eat the last of the Honey Bunches of Oats (his favorite cereal), and the Man and I had a cheesy soft scramble and some coffee.

OJ all around.



    bowl of cereal with milk $0.50
+ 4 eggs, some milk, some cheese, and a little butter for the scramble $1.00
+ 3 small glasses of OJ $0.75
+ 2 cups of coffee $0.40

= $2.65 FOR BREAKFAST ($0.90/person)

LUNCH

Was out. On the grandparents' dime (many Asian parents aren't keen on letting their children pay - not even grown ones). At a place called Taiko in Irvine that always has a line out the door. And don't even ask me why because that place just might serve the sloppiest sushi I've ever eaten in my life. That was a fairly unanimous conclusion at the table.

Because I was raised to eat what's put in front of me, I did. But I will never, EVER go back to Taiko. EVER.

I did, however, enjoy a new flavor of yogurt from Yogurtland. I think it had something to do with guava and passion fruit.


I think I got strawberry, green tea, coconut, and guava-passionfruit.
The little amphibian egg looking things are like strawberry caviar.
They call them boba, but they're not boba.

DINNER

Was pho tai (fuh DTAI), the rare steak kind. I often make pho broth with chicken stock because I always have chicken stock on hand. And while it isn't quite as rich and gelatinous as the beef broth, I do enjoy the lighter quality of it from time to time.

Since we all prefer our beef medium rare, I always place the beef on the side or nest it atop the noodles so the broth can cool a bit before we swish the beef to cook it.



The Man and I are both chili heads, and while we don't push the kids to eat their food spicier than they can handle it, I think it's kind of cute that they're both trying to emulate us by putting more sriracha in their pho. It's nice to bond over the little things as well as the big.

   sliced ribeye for 4 (about a pound) $6
+ noodles, sprouts, herbs, lime and jalapenos $3.00
+ onion, ginger, garlic, anise and cinnamon for broth $1.00 (the stock is already paid for because the chicken carcass used for the stock gets accounted for when I use the chicken meat in other dishes)

= $10.00 FOR DINNER ($2.50/serving)

$12.65 total for the day.

Friday 11/18 - $9.05
Saturday 11/19 - $12.65

$21.70 spent so far this week with 5 days left to go.

Just two more posts and I'll be caught up!

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment