Thursday, September 20, 2012

Back In Black - Day 10 & Something About the Subversive Genius of Real Housewives...

I don't think I mentioned the other day why I started a twitter account, but I'll come clean. It was solely for the purpose of dishing Real Housewives because, frankly, many of my friends are too cultured and decent to indulge in such schadenfreude and low brow entertainment with me.

But I don't think they give Andy Cohen enough credit for the subversive genius and brilliant social commentary that is the Real Housewives franchise.

Because as we watch the foibles of these grown women getting injected with Botox, spray tanning themselves (and their children), pulling 10 cent Don King words out of their waxed asses, referring to themselves in the third person, washing raw chickens with handsoap (thank you, Silje!), stabbing one another in the back, trying to shill toaster ovens to make a million dollars, dressing 20 years too young for their age, catching up with the Joneses, overestimating their abilities and exercising their hubris, coveting bling, shunning education, pointing fingers and calling one another names, throwing each other under buses, and desperately clawing for their 15 minutes of fame...

...the Real Housewives teach us not only that having money (or trying to look like you do) can't buy you class. But that it also can't buy you self-respect, confidence, graciousness, youth, refinement, self-assurance, value, self-worth, talent, dignity, enlightenment, a sense of achievement, self-awareness, fulfillment, peace of mind, happiness, completeness, or a fucking clue.

Oh. I almost forgot. And elegance.

It does however enable them to pay for people and things that help them lose weight.

They do have that on the rest of us...

BREAKFAST

was a 2-egg Greek-ish omelette. And lightly sugared coffee, of course. I don't think I'll ever  be able to bring myself to spell it *omelet* and I'm not quite sure why...


LUNCH

A bowl of pho tai (complete how-to here) with a side of hanh dam with fresh chilies. All that fresh, raw onion, chilies, vinegar - so good for the system.



SNACK

Half a dragon fruit.


DINNER

More pho with some pea sprouts thrown in in lieu of the bean sprouts I didn't have. I was really feeling the broth yesterday.


SNACK

The other half of the dragon fruit.


DESSERT

A shared fifth of a pint of Espresso Fudge ice cream. I much prefer having a pint or half gallon of ice cream in the freezer to having things like Drumsticks because I can indulge a taste - maybe 3 or 4 spoonfuls - without throwing anything away or feeling like I have to eat it all.


EXERCISE

About 15 minutes of yoga poses throughout the day, which probably didn't burn much of anything, but felt so damned good in that stretching everything down to the tips of your toes kind of way.

My arms are beginning to look ever so slightly less flappy. This is happy news.

Off to brew the afternoon cuppa and unfuck just a little more of the habitat.

shinae

1 comment:

  1. i fil like eating all of them at once.i,m hungary after seeing this meals

    ReplyDelete