Monday, September 17, 2012

Back In Black - Day 6 (Saturday)...

My parents bought the kids surfing lessons just down the street, and given how stiflingly hot and muggy Saturday turned out to be, I'm glad we scheduled the morning session.

Izzy being the third baby, and I being a more chill version of myself, it's really not that hard to get out the door with her. I tend to travel pretty light with her (and in general), and I don't really sweat the notion that I might not have packed every last thing as long as we're in a fairly developed area.

But getting an 11 and 13 year old out the door on a weekend, fed and ready on time for an 8:45 AM surf lesson while getting a wiener dog who suffers from a ridiculously serious case of separation anxiety ready to be home alone for a couple of hours is pretty much herding cats.

Regardless, the kids had fun. Specially Joey, who seems to have taken an interest in the kinds of sports in which you balance yourself on a moving board. Skateboarding and surfing are totally manageable for now since they're a) fairly high return for the investment in equipment and b) convenient given where we live.

We'll not let him in on how fun snowboarding is just yet because snow sports... well, that gets real spendy real quick.

BREAKFAST

was a bowl of Cinnamon Pecan Special K with a few extra candied pecans thrown in. I don't put much milk in my cereal because I hate milk with all the little bits of cereal and flavoring swimming in it. As a matter of fact, I find the notion of drinking milk as a beverage kinda gross.

I'm sure it has something to do with growing up in an Asian household in which the only dairy product I was ever given as a child was Yakult, which, if you've never had it, tastes more like juice than milk. I also didn't learn to like cheese until I was a young adult.


LUNCH

was a Spicy Salmon Poke bowl made with that salmon I got at 99 Ranch seasoned with chili garlic sauce, soy, sesame oil, lime juice, cilantro, and chopped serranos, topped with daikon sprouts and julienned cucumber.



Sometime between lunch and snack, my parents came over to visit for the weekend with a box of Church's Fried Chicken in tow for their lunch. Ever since we introduced her to it, my mom has become addicted.

SNACK

was about 20 longans that I also bought from 99 Ranch. When it comes to eating fresh produce, I pretty much eat with abandon and to my heart's complete content.



DINNER

It's always a treat for the fam when Dean makes ribs, and Saturday was no different.

Actually, I can honestly say they were more delicious this past Saturday than all the other times he made them and they were delicious. He changed up his technique from smoking to a low and slow oven roast followed by a short sizzle on the grill, and he put a new cola twist to his always delicious Bourbon BBQ Sauce.

My Thousand Island Slaw and corn muffins on the side.


Washed down with a Diet Coke. I don't drink soda all that often, but every once in a while, specially when it's hot, I crave bubbles like mad, and I'd rather eat those 150 calories than drink them.

Sometimes I'll purposely omit the "Diet" part when I do make the occasional mention of soda on a post to save myself the aggravation of listening to health nazis give me unsolicited advice about how my handful of diet drinks a month are going to cause me brain cancer.

Unsolicited advice ranks up there with poo on my list.


EXERCISE

was a really lovely post-sunset beach walk with the Man while my parents and the Monsters took Izzy and Honeydew for a neighborhood stroll. A somewhat powered casual walk punctuated by a few sprints to save ourselves the hosing from high tide on a short beach.


Dean has gone from bachelor to amazing husband/StepDean/dad in what seems like the blink of an eye with so much heart and so little resistance, and it's so nice to get him all to myself, if only for a short walk on the beach and a chance to hold hands empty of diaper bag and whatever odds and ends he's always taking off my hands.


SNACK

a handful of fresh dates (aka jujubes).


Followed by not remembering when or how we fell asleep for the night.

Ah, the joys of parenting an infant...

Off to brew an afternoon cuppa.

shinae


2 comments:

  1. I love fresh dates! I never see them here, even at the fancy grocery stores in Austin. The only time I ever tried them was in China, when a girl showed up to our bbq with a grocery bag full from a local orchard. Their taste haunts my dreams. You've just inspired me to search a little harder for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so crisp and refreshing unlike the dried ones, aren't they? I hope you find some soon!

      Delete