Thursday, September 13, 2012

Back In Black - Day 3...

We finally decided on a place for dinner last night - a new (to us) sushi place just two exits down the 5 called Nozomi. And we were glad for the find because our old local go-to sushi joint had been circling the drain on our past few visits - crappy, inattentive service, increasingly artless preparation of the food, and they'd begun gouging on the weirder stuff we love like uni and amaebi. But I'll stop here lest I should begin to sound bitter. We found a good, new, local go-to sushi place, and that, among other things, was good news. 

Dean and I only go out to dinner alone (which these days means with Isabella in tow in her baby sling) one or two times a month max, and the change of environment always seems to lend itself to really good and attentive conversation in which we can discuss how our days went, whatever interpersonal issues we're facing - whether with one another or with others, and whatever else, good or bad, is heavy on our minds.

Heavy on both our minds last night were our respective career paths. We've both gotten some good traction where work is concerned, and we're both also in the position of determining what best to do next in order to continue on a good path.

Although I'm not monetizing what I do right now, I very much consider it my work. And I look at this time without pay somewhat akin to a new business in its startup phase - not in the black yet, but establishing my product and marketing it through what I hope are the right channels. And yes, I am taking my time yet because I have this nugget to tend to and two older kids who deserve a greater presence from me now that I've been blessed with a life in which I can afford to give it to them and a husband who very much supports it.

So we talked over some sushi and beer and sake, and I decided for now that that local Master Chef casting call in October I was mulling over can wait. Maybe forever. Not because I have any idea of my chances of even making the cut in the first place, or how far I might progress in the competition if I do, but because I know in my heart that I'm not ready for, or even desirous of at this point, the possibilities that come with that kind of undertaking - not that level or kind of exposure, not the time away from my family, and not the temptation to get consumed by work should certain kinds of opportunities present themselves as a result.

Essentially, I've refocused myself with the help of the Man. And for now, I'm happy to keep doing what I'm doing in relative obscurity and to take a steady and organic route to that little PBS show of my dreams. I'm mulling over a couple of projects that would keep me closer to home and family.

Though it would have been nice to have a chance to swipe one of those nifty little silk squares out of Joe Bastianich's breast pocket...

BREAKFAST

was a soft scramble topped with a tomato and onion relish with a few thin slices of Monterey Jack.


SNACK

A handful of raisins. I think a handful is generally a good measurement for the kinds of snacks you can hold in your hands.


LUNCH

was a repurpose of that chuck stew from the day before. Three tacos a piece for the two of us.



SNACK

12 strawberries.


DINNER

A celebratory meal of mostly nigirizushi - salmon belly, hamachi belly, hotate, mirugai, uni, amaebi, unagi. Also a large Pacific oyster each, and some shared ankimo. I usually cut carbs at dinner when I want to drop pounds, but this was a special occasion.

And beer.

And hot sake.

I know what the blowhards say about hot sake being cheap sake, but I like it from time to time regardless because it just feels like a warm, buzzy blankie going down. :)




DESSERT

More of that cream cheese with strawberry jam.


EXERCISE

After beer and sake??

Tchah. As if...

Good thing we can get back up as many times as we fall.

Today's laundry day. Time to make like a domestic biatch and scram.

shinae

2 comments:

  1. I love doing laundry at a laundromat. (Reminds me of college days. I always bring a book or two with me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast: I didn't have any. I had to go in and work on a real bad work problem.

    Snack: I went to a college campus. Bought a bottle of fruit punch and I had a small bag of RUFFLES Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips.

    Lunch: I went to a cafeteria. Had baked spaghetti. Seven layer salad. Garlic bread. Fruit punch.

    Snack: Ice water and an oatmeal cream pie.

    Dinner: Arby's Roast Turkey sandwich and Sprite.

    ReplyDelete