Monday, September 10, 2012

Back In Black - Prologue

I took a long look at myself over the weekend in the hotel's full length mirror and determined something:

I am officially fat.

I know some people will be quick to chime in that I'm not fat, or that I have an unhealthy body image. But I'm not fishing for affirmations, and we don't need to be PC about this. Barring truly unhealthy body image or body dysmorphia, when we say we're "fat," we just mean that we're carrying around more fat than is optimal FOR US.

And believe me - the disappearing waistline, the extra *donk* in my badonk, the creeping jowls that are threatening to slowly take over my jawline, the underbaked (read: jiggly) muffin top, and possibly the most annoying symptom - the rubbage of the inner thighs when I'm wearing a skirt, particularly on a hot summer day, none of which I care to picturize for y'all to see, and all attributable to FAT, are not optimal in any way, shape, or form.

I am fat. FOR ME.

And I could not squeeze my fat ass and thighs into a single pair of jeans I own to save my life. Not even the lives of my children.

So I'm taking to the blog to make myself accountable. Not to stick to some crazy restrictive diet or extreme workout regimen, but just to get back to a more active lifestyle and to practice the more mindful way I used to eat before it got a little too easy not to think twice about that snickerdoodle craving, or that beer with a weekday dinner, or that Drumstick that wasn't even supposed to be in my freezer but for the fact that my Little Asian Mama bought two dozen of them for the kids...

I'm not counting calories, not cutting anything out of my diet, not weighing myself, and certainly not planning to have a 6-pack at the end of 90 days, but I will return to eating more of what I know to be good for me and less of what's not so good for me. I'm also committing to at least 30 minutes of some kind of exercise 5 days a week, whether it be straight shot or piecemeal. And I'll be recording all my meals (kinda like I did for my $100/week grocery budget diary) and activity every day for at least the next 30 days.

And when I can zip this dress (which has held up pretty well for the past 8 years, I must say)


all the way up instead of just to my waist, with room to move (and more importantly, room to eat), I'll be...

Back in Black.  :)

shinae

6 comments:

  1. I do not know how I got "here".. but I'm glad I did. I too am ridiculously hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I'm glad you got "here," too! Welcome, Jodina! :)

      Delete
  2. Well good luck Shinae - I have every confidence in your ability to reach your goal now you have set it. I'm sure it will come off with less carbs and more exercise. And Isabella will help to tone those muscles as she gets heavier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to get at least 30 minutes in at least 3 times a week. I've got to do better too. I'll be starting with a walk to the corner this afternoon to wait for the little guy to get off the school bus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely, we'll get there, April! :)

      Delete