Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back In Black - Day 7 & Something About Moderation...

The mere idea of this happening is near inconceivable to us until it actually happens:

We are sushi'd out. :|

Between the Monsters' requests, our little celebration dinner, and my parents visiting and treating us to dinner twice in the past month and half or so, we somehow got fatigued on sushi.

And it was good sushi, mind you. But that didn't keep the sushi from feeling a little stale on Sunday when we went to dinner with my parents. We had just had enough. A lot more than enough, actually.

I've long believed that there is a discipline to being easily pleased, to keeping special things special. And it has a lot to do with moderation.

It's mildly shameful the notion that we are jaded on a kind of meal that, for just the two of us, often costs in one sitting what we spend on groceries for the entire week.

But at least now I'm reminded why we don't buy a lobe of foie more often...

BREAKFAST

was more Cinnamon Pecan Special K early in the morning while everyone slept.


I did make a plum flaugnarde for my Little Asian Mama's breakfast because she likes Frenchy pastry type thingies, but I didn't have any myself.

LUNCH

was the leftover poke (pronounced POHkeh if you didn't know) from Saturday with the last of the daikon sprouts.


And a thigh from the box of Church's Fried Chicken my mom brought over on Saturday.


Also some grapes which, as you can see from the shriveling stems, had been sitting in the fridge a little too long.


I stayed away from too much carby stuff at lunch knowing I'd have quite a bit of sushi rice for dinner.

DINNER
, care of my parents, was dinner at Sushi Gallery Miki in San Clemente. We found this place yelping for a new sushi joint within somewhat short driving distance, and we like their sushi quite a lot. 


But we were reminded on this past visit how much service can add or detract from the enjoyment of a well prepared meal. The last time we ate there, we had a cheerful, sharp, and knowledgeable server. This time, our server, while not unpleasant, was clearly out of her element in that setting, didn't know her sushi, and just appeared too overwhelmed (on a fairly slow night) to remember or process our requests. 



While as a human being I want to have empathy for someone who is struggling with the task at hand, as a customer, it's annoying to get subpar service. And while it doesn't keep me from doing my best to be pleasant and polite, it does absolutely take away from the deliciousness of the food.




Izzy on the other hand got excellent service. All comfycozy tucked into a sling and everything.


EXERCISE

After dinner, we walked around downtown San Clemente for about half an hour, me with Izzy in her sling.

We stopped and pored over a few menus on display on the sidewalk and found nothing too terribly enticing. But that's what happens when you're overindulged and jaded. You become hard to please. And you have to take it down a notch or two for a while or two so you can give a thing time to recover its sparkle.

The babe is beginning to stir from her nap.

Back later.

shinae

No comments:

Post a Comment